top of page
STARLIGHT ILLUSTRATED Latest Media Coverage..
NEWSMEDIA MAGAZINE *New York *LA*London*Paris*Frankfurt*Rome*Madrid*Tokyo*Vienna*Beijin*Zurich*Johannesburg*
WALL STREET STATION
P.O. BOX 859
NEW YORK, N.Y. 10268
FLUSHING MEADOWS, NY (SMI-SPORTS-UNIVERSITY MAY 06, 2023)-Two Elite universities; Columbia (Ivy League, ranked#13) and Stanford (Los Angeles, CA, ranked#21) with top men's tennis programs collided in the 2nd-round showdown match of 2023 NCAA Regional Div 1, where the Cardinals finished victorious 4-2, over the Lions on Saturday's noon tournament hosted by Columbia at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, in Flushing NY.
With the win, Stanford advances to the Super-regional to face Kentucky who defeated Northwestern 4-3, in the other East Regional.
The Cardinals took a 1-0, lead over the Lions when they claimed double victories in first and third positions. Max Basing and Nishesh Basavareddy
defeated Roko Horvat and Alex Kotzen 6-2, on court three while the duo Samir Banerjee and Arthur Fery finished victorious 6-4, over Theo Winegar and Michael Zheng on court one.
In the singles, Stanford increased its lead to 3-0, when Arthur Fery and Nishesh Basavareddy won in two consecutive sets. #3 Fery defeated Michael Zheng 6-3,6-3 and Basavareddy scored 6-3, 6-1, over Alex Kotzen.
Columbia answered back with two victories on their own to make it 3-2, when Hugo Hashimoto beat Max Basing 6-2, 7-5 while Nicolas Kotzen defeated Neel Rajesh 7-5, 6-3, for the second point for the Lions.
In the final point for Stanford, Samir Banerjee and Columbia's Max Westphal
battled for over 2-hours with Banerjee outlasting Westphal 6-7, 7-5, 6-3, to secured the final points for the Cardinals and the victory of 4-2, over the Lions.
No. 21 Stanford 4, #13 Columbia 2
3) Basavareddy/Basing (STAN) d. Horvat/A. Kotzen (COL), 6-2
1) Banerjee/Fery (STAN) d. Winegar/Zheng (COL), 6-4
2) Aryan Chaudhary/Kolasinski (STAN) led N. Kotzen/Westphal (COL), 5-4 uf
Order of Finish: 3, 1
3) No. 15 Nishesh Basavareddy (STAN) d. Alex Kotzen (COL), 6-3, 6-1
1) No. 3 Arthur Fery (STAN) d. No. 36 Michael Zheng (COL), 6-3, 6-3
4) Hugo Hashimoto (COL) d. No. 33 Max Basing (STAN), 6-2, 7-5
5) Nicolas Kotzen (COL) d. Neel Rajesh (STAN), 7-5, 6-3
2) No. 56 Samir Banerjee (STAN) d. No. 121 Max Westphal (COL), 6-7, 7-5, 6-3
6) Filip Kolasinski (STAN) vs. Henry Ruger (COL), 6-4, 6-3 (unfinished)
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 4, 5, 2
bottom of page